Are you starting to get into the holiday spirit? Cooler weather is just around the corner (high of 59 on Monday!), and decorations are starting to pop up across Houston. For me, part of getting into the spirit of things is to plan out my baking. Pfeffernusse, Pumpkin Bread, and Chrismas Wreath Cookies are all on my to-bake list. But why not bake a little something for Fido, too? This recipe for Bacon Bark Chips from the adorable Spoon Fork Bacon blog will be a huge hit with your little fur babies!
Bacon “Bark” Sticks (Makes 24)
1¼ cups fat free milk
1 tablespoon honey
4 tablespoons bacon fat
¼ cup bacon, crumbled
2¼ cups whole wheat flour
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, honey, bacon fat, and bacon.
3. Stir the flour in, ½ cup at a time until full incorporated.
4. Knead the dough until fully combined.
5. Roll the dough out onto a lightly floured surface into a 4” by 12” rectangle.
6. Using a pizza cutter, cut out 4” by ½” sticks until all the dough has been used.
7. Line the sticks on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
8. Cool completely before serving.
9. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
(Be sure to check out the delicious recipes for humans at the Spoon Fork Bacon blog. Honeycrisp and Bourbon Spiced Cider, Mashed Purple Sweet Potatoes with Maple Butter and Toasted Pecans, YUM!!)
Have you made homemade treats for your pets before? What are some of your favorite recipes?