I saw a couple of cute pictures this week on Facebook that have the “rules” of the house from a dog or cat’s perspective. And it got me thinking. As much as I think my husband and I make the rules in the house for our animals, we really don’t. So here are our House Rules, written by Bloo (the dog) and Sydney and Zoe (the cats).
1) All animals will be fed as soon as requested. Bloo will ask for his meal by quickly glancing from his humans to his empty bowl and back again repeatedly. The cats will request their meal by the uniquely loud and incessant crying that would make anyone else think they were starving to death.
2) The humans are allowed to interact with other animals when away from the home, but they will be inspected and sniffed thoroughly upon return by Bloo. A full 15 minutes should be set aside for this inspection to be completed. Sydney will act aloof. Zoe will want to cuddle with the female human and bite the male human.
3) Please don’t interrupt Bloo when he’s barking at what you think is nothing outside. He is doing very important work and should not be disturbed.
4) The pillows belong to the cats. Humans may, on occasion, be allowed to share them, but the cats are never to be disturbed. If one chooses to disturb the cats, the person who did the disturbing will hear about it.
5) Any and all hairballs will be expelled between 3am and 5am.
6) If you make a mess, clean up after yourself. The only ones exempt from this rule are Bloo, Sydney, and Zoe.
7) Bloo is allowed on the couch at anytime he wishes. Please don’t try to stop this. He spends all day while you’re gone there, so resistence is futile.
8) The humans may dress the dog in Halloween costumes or the occasional Texans jersey. In return, the dog may eat any paper product left within his reach. The cats are to never be dressed in anything.
9) We may all be adopted, but we are full-fledged members of the family and will be treated as such!
10) This list may be added to at the will and whim of said dog and cats.
It’s their world, we just live in it. And honestly, I wouldn’t have it any other way.